Removing contact lenses can often be thought of as an arduous task. Here at Coloured Contacts, we’ve pieced together a helpful run-down of how to correctly remove your colored contact lenses. Regardless of whether you’re or not you’re new to using coloured contact lenses, this helpful, step-by-step guide is here to help shed some light on the do’s and don’ts.
1. Make Sure You Thoroughly Wash and Dry Your Hands! - It’s paramount that you wash and cleanse your hands properly before coming into contact with your eyes or colored contact lenses. In doing so, you will greatly reduce the risk of infection and bacteria spreading unnecessarily. For contacts that have a greater duration, such as those of monthly or yearly durations, we highly recommend you store your lenses in a disinfected lens case, filled with approved multipurpose solution.
2. Gently Separate Your Eyelids (Pull Down Your Lower Eyelid and Pull Up Your Upper) - It is of great importance, more so for prescribed lenses, that you start with the same eye every time you come to remove your lenses. The process is simple, all you need to do is gently pull down on your lower eyelid then pull up your upper eyelid so that your eyelashes are as close to your eyebrow as possible.
3. Carefully Pinch The Contact Lens Using Both Your First Finger and Your Thumb - This step can be daunting, but as with anything, it comes with practice. All you need to do is place your forefinger and thumb at either side of your colored contact lens and gently pinch. You should feel the lens move between your fingers, this is completely normal and shows that you’ve successfully managed to acquire the lens.
4. Avert Your Gaze Upwards and Slide The Contact Lens Down and Off Onto Your First Finger - Once you feel the lens between your thumb and forefinger, then next step is to look up. In doing so, you’ll be able to smoothly slide the lens down onto the white of your eye and then off onto your finger. If it didn’t work the first time, don’t panic! Gently repeat the process or seek help from someone close to you.
5. Repeat on The Other Eye - As simple as it sounds, the next step is to repeat the process on your remaining eye!
Regardless of which duration you opt for, it’s highly important that you adhere to the correct and most suitable care instructions to help you achieve the most out of new style. Always make sure you dispose of your daily colored contact lenses suitably and that you store your longer duration lenses in approved solution and disinfected casing.
If at any stage you have any concerns, here at Coloured Contacts we highly recommend you seek immediate advice from a health care professional.